Sunday 17 January 2010

breastfeeding myths..

as my sabbatical (sangatlah) leave ends last week.. i, heavy heartedly, leaves hannah in the care of my mom. hannah, who is refusing the bottle..made me leave the office every 3 hours to feed her. not that m complaining..but i do have a boss. a boss who don;t like me that much i may add. just walking into his office to tell him the situation is nerve wrecking. of course he gave me the ok to leave at about 11am and 3 or 4pm for the feeding sessions, but i have a feeling this will back fire on me. soon. real soon.

so that was what i have been up to the first 4 days of my first week at work for 2010 (on friday i was so exhausted i took an mc..which, hannah loves). datelines, appointments, were all scheduled around her feeding sessions. including, nudging her to wake up at 5..so i can get ready for work.. and she would wake up again at 7, for her next feed. she will ideally wake up at 10+, have her bath.. and i'll be home on time at 11 for her feed. perfect? sometimes.

this ofcourse does not include the fact that i had 2 meetings last week.. which resulted in her throwing a fit while waiting for the late mommy. she would not give in to the bottle.. although she was already whimpering & would just close her eyes & try to sleep. hungry. i cannot explain how this made me feel. on thurs, i was so late and she was already very tired of crying, and hungry.. it made me cry just looking at her sob. at that point, i kept thinking what should i do.. quitting either one is not an option. and there is not one person who encourages me. which is sad. you might think in these age where people knows breastfeeding is good for both the mommy & baby.. you expect some kind words when breastfeeding has not been smooth sailing. well, luck.

this article about breastfeeding myths was very useful.. and the last myth was spot on :

15. Breastfeeding is blamed for everything.

True! Family, health professionals, neighbours, friends and taxi drivers will blame breastfeeding if the mother is tired, nervous, weepy, sick, has pain in her knees, has difficulty sleeping, is always sleepy, feels dizzy, is anemic, has a relapse of her arthritis (migraines, or any chronic problem) complains of hair loss, change of vision, ringing in the ears or itchy skin. Breastfeeding will be blamed as the cause of marriage problems and the other children acting up. Breastfeeding is to blame when the mortgage rates go up and the economy is faltering. And whenever there is something that does not fit the "picture book" life, the mother will be advised by everyone that it will be better if she stops breastfeeding.


the only thing that kept me going was the smile that hannah gave me everytime she latches off... and snoozes. and laugh. all in her sleep.

hee..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm, you could pump and keep in the fridge....that's what my sister used to do.

hh178 said...

Hye. I am a silent follower of ur blog since 2 yrs ago..we get married at quite the same time and conceived at almost the same time..and i also hv my beautiful baby girl just 3weeks older than hannah..my girl name is haifaa huda..what u've been thru is exactly like my experience with haifaa..i am obsses with BF just like u..try to give the best for her.and when it comes to bottle, she wont give it a shot. that gives me a headache knowing that i am going to work. but u shud try and try to give her bottle. i hv tried diff bottles, diff nipples..u shud try to sooth her while she is trying to latch on..the best thing is ask ur mom to gv her bottle..she wont latch on the bottle that was given by u..our babies know the smell of our breast..so it is better other people give them. u must try harder. i tried almost all thru my confinement and alhamdulillah finally she latch on bottle. try yellow niple which is softer than avent usual niple. i used pigeon bottle only bcoz that's what she's comfortable with. just my 2 cents point to help. i know it makes me cry too to see my baby crying and doze to sleep hungrily...ask ur mom to try harder..she will latch on if she has no other choice..but make sure ur boobs is not around.. :)

hh178 said...

Hye. I am a silent follower of ur blog since 2 yrs ago..we get married at quite the same time and conceived at almost the same time..and i also hv my beautiful baby girl just 3weeks older than hannah..my girl name is haifaa huda..what u've been thru is exactly like my experience with haifaa..i am obsses with BF just like u..try to give the best for her.and when it comes to bottle, she wont give it a shot. that gives me a headache knowing that i am going to work. but u shud try and try to give her bottle. i hv tried diff bottles, diff nipples..u shud try to sooth her while she is trying to latch on..the best thing is ask ur mom to gv her bottle..she wont latch on the bottle that was given by u..our babies know the smell of our breast..so it is better other people give them. u must try harder. i tried almost all thru my confinement and alhamdulillah finally she latch on bottle. try yellow niple which is softer than avent usual niple. i used pigeon bottle only bcoz that's what she's comfortable with. just my 2 cents point to help. i know it makes me cry too to see my baby crying and doze to sleep hungrily...ask ur mom to try harder..she will latch on if she has no other choice..but make sure ur boobs is not around.. :)

Khemy said...

silent reader, i like the last sentence. Let me rephrase "but make sure ur boobs is not around.. :)" Kakakaka. Good tips tho'.

Well kechik, worst come to worst, my mom just use syringe to feed her..

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone!
I would like to burn a theme at this forum. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I make money with the help of these programs.
I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my web site to get additional info.

[url=http://theinvestblog.com] Online investment blog[/url]